You’ve Got Non-Toxic Deodorant Down, Now What?
Let’s set the scene.
You’ve made the switch to Pit Liquor, and you’re feeling good about doing better for your pits after ditching the aluminum and baking soda filled antiperspirants.
You’re relieved to know the Blue Lotus you sprayed (or rolled) on your pits today has purposeful ingredients that you recognize from Mother Nature, and not the “all natural” Dove you used to pick up at your local Target that’s filled with artificial fragrance, nasty chemicals, and words you aren’t familiar with on the label. Which means you’re officially done with the BS we call synthetic fragrance, the gloppy gooey stick, and unregulated personal care products, and here for a BO fighter that is powered by overproof spirits, made with essential oils, and absolutely NO toxins. Hooray!
So now you might be wondering, what other products do we use on a daily basis that do more harm than good? What brands are legit? How do you see through greenwashing?
Here’s a hard one to swallow: the EU has banned more than 1,600 chemicals in cosmetic and personal care products. The U.S.? Only 11.
Our skin is our largest organ, and it absorbs what it comes into contact with. While we know it can be overwhelming and frustrating to learn this information, let’s start with three easy swaps to start with on your low tox journey.
Just like your classy glass bottle of Pit Liquor, toothpaste is a staple on your bathroom counter. Harmful ingredients in toothpastes can include artificial dyes and sweeteners, carcinogens, endocrine disrupting chemicals, PEGS……
And we wish the list stopped here.
Let’s step up our oral care game and ditch the Crest and Colgate. Here are our top recs for swaps we love:
- Dr. Bronner’s All-One Toothpaste - All around, Dr. Bronners gets an A+ from us. It’s fluoride and SLS free, and contains organic coconut oil to remove plaque and brighten teeth. You can pick this one up at your local Whole Foods!
- Risewell Natural Hydroxyapatite Toothpaste is also a clean option. Hydroxyapatite is the same mineral that makes up our teeth and bones. This ingredient remineralizes and restores tooth enamel. Risewell has a ton of oral care alternatives on their site.
- Dr. Brite Kids Anti-Plaque Toothpaste is a solid choice if you have kiddos that still want brushing to be tasty. This brand makes a statement to us because the founder has a good point…. no tube of conventional kid's toothpaste should have a Poison Control warning on the back. Major hype for Dr. Brite!
#2 Hand Soap
With the frequency with which we wash our hands, this swap is high on our list. I mean, washing our hands is kind of second nature, and the conventional soaps like Dial, Method, or even Meyer’s don’t make the cut for us.
Hand soaps almost always contain synthetic fragrances. While your nose may like the smell, that “fragrance” you see on the label is an underlying term for chemicals.
Let’s get to the swaps:
- Branch Basics gets tossing the toxins. With just one concentrate, you get all your basic household cleaning essentials and hand soap. This one concentrate replaces your entire stash of toxic cleaning products. Bonus! You can swap your soap and feel good about what you are using inside your home. They use plant and mineral based ingredients and have refillable bottles. We’re all for it!
- Dr. Bronner's 4-in-1 Organic Sugar Soap is good for the sink and the shower! You can also make your own DIY soap from their Pure-Castile Liquid Soap.
- Truly Free Aloe Hand Soap is another great, non-toxic option. After you get your container for any of their products, only refill pouches are sent to you after. Sustainable and clean, our favorite things.
We imagine this one stings a bit. We get it, you don’t want to get rid of your seasonal scent lineup. Remember the fragrance cover up we talked about on ingredients lists? Candles are loaded with this artificial fragrance, and when you burn them, you’re inhaling those toxins and dispersing them around your home.
The good news is, you don’t have to give them up. There are safe alternatives, you just won’t find them at Bath and Body Works.
- Fontana Candle Co Beeswax + Coconut Oil candle is a great way to add a subtle scent to your home. They are the first candle to have the MADE SAFE® seal, which certifies that this household product is free of any and all toxins known or suspected to harm human health, animals, or ecosystems. Cool right?
- Wellness by Ari Beeswax Candles is also committed to natural ingredient candles by using organic hemp wick and beeswax. And get this, their website explains that beeswax releases negatively charged ions that seek out and cling to the positive ions in the air (such as dust, pet dander, mold, pollen, and other pollutants) weighing them down to surfaces, helping keep the air clean and fresh.
- Pit Liquor can be used as any room spray all day long! If you like it on your pits, why not spritz it all over? We highly recommend this.
While there’s a lot of work to be done in the realm of toxic products, all we can do is continue to learn and swap.
If you liked hearing about our simple swap recs, tell us! If you have recs of your own, drop them down below!