The Boozy Details: Why use Vodka and Whiskey?
We can take a wild guess that the first time you stumbled across Pit Liquor you thought booze in your deodorant couldn’t possibly…work. We get it, it was mind-blowing for our founders too, and we don’t judge you for the skeptical raised brow. We’re just glad that this revolutionary epiphany has helped so many pits go toxin-free, that’s the main goal after all.
If you’re new here and aren’t on the Pit Liquor bandwagon quite yet, stick around as we get into one of our favorite topics – the key ingredient behind what makes our special concoctions unique AND highly effective for pit stench, or any other stench for that matter. That’s right, it’s alcohol.
Isopropyl Alcohol vs. Ethyl Alcohol
We talk a lot about how amazing alcohol is for killing BO. Eliminate the bacteria in your pits and you stop BO at the source. What you may still be wondering though, is why liquor?? It’s not the only form of alcohol. So let’s break it down.
Alcohol comes in two types, isopropyl alcohol and ethyl alcohol (ethanol). Both of these forms have the power to disinfect and kill bacteria.
You may have isopropyl in your medicine cabinet, and you probably know it best as rubbing alcohol. This is the type used in hospitals and is commonly seen in home cleaning products. We do NOT use this in Pit Liquor.
- Isopropyl alcohol can be harsh on the skin, causing dryness, redness, and irritation. Prolonged use may strip the skin of its natural oils, leading to discomfort and potential dermatological issues.
- Inhalation of isopropyl alcohol fumes can irritate the respiratory tract, causing symptoms such as coughing, shortness of breath, and throat irritation. Prolonged exposure may exacerbate existing respiratory conditions.
- Contact with isopropyl alcohol can lead to eye irritation, redness, and discomfort. Accidental splashes or exposure can pose a risk to eye health.
- Isopropyl alcohol is toxic if ingested, even in small amounts. Accidental ingestion can lead to symptoms such as dizziness, nausea, vomiting, and, in severe cases, can be life-threatening.
Ethyl alcohol, or ethanol, is what we use in our formulas and is a natural byproduct of plant fermentation – which is why you can drink it. This form is also the safest of the two to apply topically, unlike isopropyl which can cause skin damage.
Plus, the ethanol in whiskey and vodka are made with much greater oversight than any other form of ethanol because they are regulated for consumption.
Natural and Renewable
- Ethanol is a cleaner alternative derived from natural sources such as grains, sugarcane, or corn. Unlike isopropyl alcohol, which is often produced synthetically, ethanol can be obtained through fermentation of renewable resources.
- Ethanol is biodegradable, meaning it breaks down naturally in the environment, posing fewer ecological risks. This contrasts with the environmental concerns associated with the production and disposal of synthetic isopropyl alcohol.
Safer for Skin
- Ethanol is gentler on the skin compared to isopropyl alcohol. It is commonly found in many hand sanitizers and skincare products, providing effective germ-killing properties without the harsh side effects.
Reduced Respiratory Risks
- Ethanol generally has lower toxicity levels and is less irritating to the respiratory system compared to isopropyl alcohol. This makes it a safer choice for applications that involve inhalation exposure.
- Ethanol has a wide range of applications beyond disinfection, including pharmaceuticals, cosmetics, and the food and beverage industry. Its versatility and safety make it a preferred choice for various consumer products.
So, the science is clear. Ethanol is the best and safest for your delicate pits and the planet! And while we commonly compare our innovative concept to hand sanitizer… well that’s still kinda toxic when you start looking at the manufacturing processes and regulations in the health and beauty industry. So liquor it is!
A Successful, Pit-Saving Science Experiment
When you put it all together, the merits of whiskey and vodka are for real. Whether it's in the form of hitting the spot with a good Old Fashion or shutting down the bacteria festivities in your pits, both stand cause for celebration.
Our blend of top-notch plant botanicals along with our science-backed approach to dealing with BO is the recipe your pits have been waiting for, and the transparency you’ve been longing for in your search for truly toxin free body products.
Cheers to raising your natural deodorant standards!